Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Apologies

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while, first weeks back at uni is somewhat hectic! Also impending dissertation hand in is leaving me no time to make art. There's a sad sort of irony to this, the idea that being in art school is limiting me from actually seeing art and making art. (I say this all whiney like but I am also terrified of graduating. Meh.)

But yeah here is a picture I made for the F Word it was to accompany a piece on the idea of 'rebel mothers'. This idea offers a feminist viewpoint on the idea of mothering, challenging conservative binary obsessed stereotypes. I think it's a really interesting idea and I enjoyed making this picture.

Everyone always seems to idolise the style of children's art. However, what interests me more is that sort of in between stage at the age of around ten and eleven when you are conditioned to emulate adult styles and techniques but you can't quite master it technically. So you end up with this flat oddly proportioned work that is neither your work or the 'acceptable' adult styles you're trying to copy.  I've tried to incorporate this sort of flat lip synch style in the forms of the mother and child in this work.



No comments:

Post a Comment