Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Brief Candles

Hello! I am sorry for neglecting my blog. I think after I coughed up the huge, baggy monster that was my last post I needed to recover a bit! Things have been pretty hectic, what with post-exhibition whirl, followed by the inevitable post-exhibition slump, Masters applications, seeing friends and starting my first ever real person job I haven't really had time to blog. But yes! I have a real person job! I am a junior fellow of visual culture at the University of the West of England. It is all terribly exciting. The work is challenging and interesting and lectures are located in a beautiful stately home which allows me to fully revel in the Hogwarts fantasies that a stark comprehensive education couldn't satisfy. There are also deers. DEERS.

I also got interviewed by the lovely people at the Vice blog Pie and Mash, whose work you should totally read. I had never been interviewed before which I think is pretty clear when they were like "where do you see yourself in five years times?" and I was like 'uhh in five years time I see myself as Joseph Gordon Levitt'. Smooth. But yeah if you wanna read all the DEEP stuff I said you can check it out here. They were also super sweet to do this follow up post about my show.

Oh and I am also going to see Azealia Banks with one of my favourite people in the world in two days and I can not wait! Do you like Azealia? I absolutely adore her, I know she's going to kill it live.  I am also going to Barcelona on Monday for a week, which is going to be super fun! I intend to consume large amounts of art and even larger amounts of tapas.

Here is a round up of some of my current inspiration for you to have a look at. I feel I should provide some context. I'm not sure if you know this but my Dad's from Syria and I am currently grappling with the near impossible task of making art about what is currently happening there. Okay, I realise there is now a huge contrast between the first past of this post and the second, but I guess that is incredibly telling of the strange situation I am in as a mixed person of Syrian heritage currently living in the first world.

























































Still from The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock 1963), Brenda Ann Keneally, Andy on the first day of school, Turkey costume, from 'Halloween Costumes to Inflict Upon the Innocent', on Mental Floss, 'The Owl and the Pussycat', Peter Blake (1981-3), photograph of nameless Syrian girl by Rick Findler from Vice article My Four Days of Madness with the Free Syrian Army, Degas,The Dead Fox (1864), Dear Mill, Maurice Sendak, Sasha Frolova, Recess, Rookie


No comments:

Post a Comment