Sunday, 21 October 2012

Woman, birds, stars

I got back from Barcelona yesterday-it was awesome! Here is a collection of my photos and some of the cool stuff I was lucky enough to see.



























This is from a super spooky fairy bar off the Ramblas which played out like a low budget Disney Land, making it pretty perfect for me. However, the imperialist head piece on the left makes me think colonialism is the biggest horror story of all. I mean seriously. Why?! 


























More photos from the fairy bar, again all very Disney which excites me. (I actually wrote my dissertation on post-colonialisn and the Disney corporation!) The warped scream of the tree reminds me of that horrible scene in Snow White, don't you think?
Picasso, Science and Charity, 1887
Art school is an extended competition to memorise the names of obscure artists. In this sense, to acknowledge a giant of contemporary art is an obscenity. Nonetheless I'd be a big liar if I didn't admit that Picasso influenced me a great deal in my own work.I also have to say that for an artist who fetishised the mark making of childhood it was incredibly interesting to see his own early works.
Snow white baby Christ dolls popped up like daisies in Barcelona shop windows


























Gaudi's Sagrada Familia is honestly one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my whole life. I took something like 300 photos in the space but none of them really captured what it was like to be in that cathedral. It was like flying.
Joan Miro, Portrait of a Young Girl





































Miro is one of my all time favourite artists, ever. His work is like sunshine. I filled up an entire notebook in the Miro foundation, though much of it thanks to my dyspraxia wobble is actually illegible but hey.If you are ever feeling blue I'd recommend you read this delightful article by Desmond Morris on his trip to London zoo with Miro.
Joan Miro, Summer, 1937




































Joan Miro, Woman Dreaming of Escape

































No comments:

Post a Comment