Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Intimate Immensity

"I have nothing to wear tomorrow 
will I live long enough
to grow up
and momma's in the bedroom 
with the door closed."

-Audre Lorde, Hanging Fire

I am in a peculiar position this year, one foot in my home town one foot in the 'ART WORLD'. I hate that expression! It sounds so stupid, like you are transported to a magical psychedelic faerie world the moment you get you acceptance letter from CSM. I honestly don't know if being in this place makes me have more INSIGHT (another stupid word) or whatever. Though I did write this essay on the subject, a piece of writing which is very dear to me. I just know that my friends can't find work and that makes me sad, and that the faces of dead teenagers (do they count as old boys if they didn't go to posh school?) makes me sadder. 
























Found this on tumblr (if anyone knows the original source please tell me!) Richard Ross, The “Wall of Shame,” at Miami-Dade Regional Juvenile Detention Center, Miami, Florida: mug shots of kids that were released from the center and killed by gunshot wounds. “Expired” here indicates “deceased.”,  Roy Lichestein, Why Brad Darling, Jasper Johns, Numbers in Color 1958-9, Junya Watanabe, Elizabeth Catlett, Wonder Showzen gif, Robert Longo, Intimate Immensity, Chuck Close, Emma, Emory Douglas, 1972






No comments:

Post a Comment