Thursday, 15 November 2012

OF YOU. FOR YOU.

























































I have sorted out my MA applications so actually have free time again to make art. Hazzah! So yes am going to try and post more actual art and less inspiration posts from now on :)))

These are a couple of paintings I did this week. These works are partly an extension of the 'My Cat' works, in terms of looking at ambiguity, repetition and childhood. I might paint one for each day of the week, depending on how I get on. The painting are a tribute to this image which I am obsessed with but sadly can't track down the author (anyone know who it's by?)

I'm not sure if the monkey piece below is quite finished yet. What do you think? I think it needs more patterns and colour and and lumpy bits. Though I like that he is basically just a huge grinning breast right now, haha. The red panda piece ended as a super sexual fertility god, all orifices and appendages and spilling out body, and is my favourite thing I've made this month, I love it so much :3

I like to think of the days of the week animals as early valentine's cards. I have been thinking about love and relationships a great deal, not in a romantic sense exactly. But rather the narcissism and upside-down-ness and obsession of it all; the wild 'Heavenly Creatures' self-destructive kind. I think love requires two fantasy identities: one for yourself and one for your lover. Maybe that's why it can't last, because a dream world can only go on for so long before it gets ugly and rotten and just plain weird.

Speaking of art and repetition and obsession Arabelle wrote the most amazing article on my all time favourite artist Yayoi Kusama, with lots of interesting links and cool videos. I think it is one of my favourite Rookie articles, it so good and accessible too! Please please read it!

I particularly loved this quote:

"How remarkable, to deal with your bad juju in a way that makes everyone feel better, and makes the world around you more beautiful."

What a wonderful quote, artists like Yayoi Kusama and super talented bloggers like Arabelle make gloomy November days less terrible.



No comments:

Post a Comment