Thursday, 27 June 2013

pretty dead things

I went to Italy like two weeks ago? Sorrento. Naples. Pompeii. Herculaneum. It was awesome and I feel so privileged that I got to travel so much this year. And now it is my birthday boxing day and I am finally posting some picture junk.I also finished the Big Project I was working on on the day of my birthday eve. So I feel kinda weird and discombobulated today. But that may be attributed to too much Colin the Caterpillar Cake. But yes travel photos! I suck at introductions! Blah!


DOGS! DOGS! DOGS! I am obsessed with dogs and wildness and fear. I saw a bunch of dog themed stuff in Italy. Stray dogs in pompeii, Alsatians curled up on the steps on the amphitheatres like they were gonna give a performance. In Olden Times men pretended to be women on stages. There is a point to this that I am too lazy to make. 
MORE DOGS! creepy old dogs being creepy to be exact. Side note: Maniacal laugh
Bad museums are the best museums.
Rat girl with rat girl crotch and lots of little eyes on her body. She is a rat queen.


Naples Archaeological Museum was so so good! This sculpture of Artemis of Ephesus. I love. So terrifying. and awesome. and beautiful. See also: Comme des garcons s/s 1997, this mood board I made last summer and the bobbly balloon bodies of Louise Bourgeois.
Tho it felt so weird being able to take photographs in a museum. I ended up thinking less about Roman sculpture and more about how it would look like with an instagram filter.

DON'T TOUCH PLEASE!!!! Romans were no 'classier' than women on their hen nights sipping on penis straws. Erections were the centre pieces on their dining tables. 




dead skin masks everywhere. See also: no face, eyes without a face, texas chainsaw massacre.
the palm trees gave everything a weirdly anachronistic lana del rey vibe.
The Amalfi Cathedral. I am a Christian. I love churches. Yet, I can't help but think it rather strange that a faith defined by new birth is penetrated by the aesthetics of decay. 
And I felt rather ashamed that all I could say about this image was that it reminded me of the album art from Neutral Milk Hotel.


I also have a bunch of conflicting views when it comes to creepy christian stuff and the fact that I'm so so into it. And by views I mean a confused emoticon.
Herculaneum had big red colours and old skool adverts on dead walls. The colours made me sad. I'm not sure why tho. 
empty bed in an old brothel. pompeii. This also made me sad in an unquotable sort of way.
Pompeii is kinda weird, like one second you're in a gift shop buying a postcard for your grandma, the next you're photographing a dead pregnant woman laid out like an alien autopsy. 
see also: g√ľnter brus, aktion ana, 1964
bodies stored in shelves like stationery supplies
happy campers outside pompeii aka the obligatory douchey postmodernism shot

No comments:

Post a Comment