Tuesday, 20 August 2013

She Lay Down Deep Beneath The Sea

I visited Margate last month.  My Great Aunt and Uncle retired there (I swear all South London cockneys did in the late 80's?) and I visited them every summer when I was a kid. It's so weird that in the past few years it's been turned into a super gentrified, trendy-trendy-recommended by the Guardian hot-spot-shit. I'm pretty sure all that's Potemkin Village travel talk tho. Like how The London Evening Post tried to play up Tottenham Hale as an 'up and coming area' like six months before the London Riots.


The Mad Hatter's Tea Party. This place was actually shut when I was here (it only opens on Saturday) so this photo was the product of me leering in the window like a creepy burglar. But still it was worth it, look how amazing this place looks!!!


Shell Ladies in shell bonnets like in the Walrus and the Carpenter

Last Supper Shell Temple living in a cabinet of curiosities

Me inside the shell grotto....


Before I got creeped out. Srsly doesn't this look like something out of a horror film?! Saying that I could definitely imagine a witchy, mermaid, glitter blur photo shoot for Rookie taking place here! 

High street by the sea front made me question gentrification, made me get my Great Uncle's words "this place will be desirable once I'm long dead."




Colourful sea side scene nostalgia with a side of Ghost World angst

Me being a geek at the bus shelter where T.S.Eliot wrote The Waste Land.  

Terrifying chip man in Whitstable


...And a playlist of summer songs if you want to recreate the experience of being stuck in a traffic jam with your grandparents on the M32 #glamlife

No comments:

Post a Comment