Saturday, 26 July 2014

The Day the Music Died


This is a post out of sorts. I took these pictures in April, when channeling September and here I am posting them in July, it's enough to make your head spin.

This was in the Easter break and I was obsessed with Ritchie Valens, varsity jackets, secret school spirt, Bye Bye Birdie, Bright Young Things, Sub-debs, bobby soxers, Pleasantville and Pretty in Pink. Even though this was only a few months ago these images feel like little time capsules, which I suppose is fitting when it comes to nostalgic dressing. 

I wonder if artificial nostalgia, homesickness for a place I never knew, manifests different in the suicidal? Or maybe suicidal and nostalgic are two words for the same thing, the Lisbon sisters did live in the 1970s after all. (Some thoughts to wrap my tongue around.)Clothes as shrouds, as pickled remains and dead skin, and all hair is dead hair so maybe the same goes for skin too? I do not know. At the end of the day all a wardrobe is is a haunted house. A haunted houses for all the girl ghosts I once was, I once said I had a ghost for every year, maybe that was an underestimate of sorts. 

The shirt/skirt thing was in the bargain bin  in the Disney store (it's a minnie mouse dress! also it was like £3), the jacket is from some weird Oxford souvenir shop from the high street, the converse are well...converse and the t-shirt if from primark from like 18 months ago.



Oh and the backpack! The backpack was a Christmas present from Matt! Isn't it the best?!

And now I've sufficiently thrown you with this disorientating post, half haul, half suicide note (not actually though-don't freak out)have a mood board of -*-*-vibez-*-*- 












Lisa Bonet on the cover of Jet (i.e. my fave magazine cover ever),The History Boys, Sub-Deb on the cover of life, 1945, John Singer Sargent, Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose, bobby soxer, 1940s style from the blog Of Another Fashion, Evelyn Waugh, Vile Bodies cover, Bye Bye Birdie, Pleasantville stills, Winter Dance Party poster, newspaper, 1959.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this outfit, you've nailed the vibe perfectly.
    I agree so much with the clothing being like ghosts too (that's such a beautiful way of putting it!). So much of my wardrobe is full of things I never wear but I can't let go of because it reminds me of a type of me I used to be (usually a time I've romanticised into being a happy period even though it most likely wasn't quite so).

    ReplyDelete